Thursday, March 01, 2007

4-6-6-4 Challenger a Challenge

The plastic drive shaft that failed has been replaced with a steel shaft that has been machined specifically for this unit. It is probably the only Rivarrosi locomotive with an all-metal drive shaft. That is the good news.

The bad news is that, like the Northern 4-8-4 the track needed some adjusting to allow the beheamoth to make certain curves. It took about an hour of pulling track, scrapping off balast and glue and then realigned shit to make it work. But now all the curves for all our locomotives work flawlessly. That is the bad news being turned into good news.

The other news is that there is a little attachment on the locomotive that allows for electrical pick up off the trailing truck as well as the tender that is sheared off. I do not think VIC's new about it. I think I can fix this but it is in a very tight spot. How I found out is that the trailing truck (the last 4 wheels) tended to jump the track at odd times. Sure enough the attachment is gone. So I have to get a little, itty bitty, tiny winny, screw or rivet to fix it.

I added Kadee couplers between the cab and the tender too.

No comments: