Monday, May 02, 2005

Review of The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

Simon Jones, Mark Wing-Davey, and Jeffery McGiven were just too good.

The Hitchikers radio series had almost asmuch effect on me as the Star Wars series of movies. I have two sets of the show on tape. I have read all the books; that actually came after the radio series.

You create a perfect thing and then you want to try and recreate that perfect thing using a different medium and things can go wrong.

The stuff that bugged me the most was:
The movies live action sets looked like DR Who rejects. The visual effects were awsome. The art direction sucked in this film there was no cohessive structure and seperation from location to locatioin.

The sound engineering on this film was the worst. Take actors that are mumbling and rushing their lines and compile it with bad engineering and you get and whole lot of "watermelon cantelope" And in a movie where the dialogue makes the picture what it is, that isn't good.

I like to beat up on ol'Dubya just like the other 49.99999% of America and 99% of the world, but Zaphod was just too much Dubya and not enough Beebelbrox. Zaphod is not a moron. He has moronic tendancies but is also a shrewd character and the hippest being in the Universe.

Stuff I liked the most:
The narrator of "The Book" was done well. Slarty Bartfast was great!

All in all I was not amused by it since it seemed to me to be a rippoff of the original without it being a retelling. I was in a funk upon leaving the theater.

It gets a 5

No comments: