Friday, May 20, 2005

People who think depression is a mark of the creative spirit can eat my shorts

I listened to a Dr. talk about recent research into depression and the effects of it on the body. Terry Gross, playing the devils advocate, asked him if the elimanation of depression would some how stifle the creative spirit. What a monsterous thing to say. I would not wish depression on the darkest demon in Hell. I have been lucky enough to have a creative career and I can attest to the fact that depression does not help the creative process. It is a hammer blow upon it. It destroys your energy, saps you desire, reduces your ability to concentrate, and removes joy from work. It is a horrible myth that depressions makes better writers or painters. And even if it did I would rather be uncreative than exist with a giant hole in my hart.

No comments: