Wednesday, March 16, 2005

TV Ratings

As I hardly ever watch network or cable TV I cannot actually rate the overall system. Judging only by the few snippits I do see, I would say that TV is a worthless time waster. I mainly use my TV to watch movies on either VHS or DVD. Today I had a moment and decided, what the heck lets see whats on the tube. First there is the bewildering number of channels and no easy way to know what is playing when. As I scanned the scrolling listing I saw, Matlock, and Cosby, Murder She Wrote, and CNN, MSNBC, FOX NEWS, there were about 20 sports channels, and a host of movie channels showing current hits like All About Eve, and The Sting. I know TV production is expensive and time consuming but for crying out loud can't anyone produce a new series that doesn't include ignorant morons eating worms? I have heard lots of good things about the new Battlestar Galactic series. Pardon me while I stab a pencil into my forhead.
Channel surfing isn't even fun anymore since 90% of daytime and nightime programming are commercials. Here is a sample of what you surf through:
Exercise equipment
Exercise rutines
Fat reduction pills
Food preperation systems
Sexual enhancer pills
Hits from the 60's
So based on the aggregate of my limited TV time I give TV a 1. What a colossal waste of life to allow a minute of it to be spent looking at network/cable/satelite TV. I think that survivor is actually a very good program for the people who watch TV. It is perfect for the human who flushes his or her life down the shitter that is modern TV.

No comments: