Friday, March 11, 2005

Changing Times etc.

I remember when I was a little kid and sick. My Mom would take me to Dr Chapel. We would wait in the waiting room with the other sick kids and their moms.
Reading the Newsweek article on the overworked mothers I was disgusted yet again to see such a total lack of connection to reality. Today when I took Trudy to the doctor for the second time this week, the place was packed with fathers and their kids. The only women in the picture were the doctors and nurses. It is such a cliche about how tough woman have it in America. The truth is that families have it tough. The men are just as stressed out as the women. They are far more connected to the raising of their children than their fathers ever were. My dad loved me but he never changed a diaper. He never took time off work to take care of a sick kid.
I actually relish taking care of my kids. They can be a pain in the neck and in lowwer regions, but that is the way it is. If people want to bitch about their children they should not have had them. And another fact is that women today have it much the same as the women of the past. My great grandmother worked 8 hours a day in bakery 6 days a week, and worked 4 hours each night in a laundry. All while raising 13 kids, and taking care of her husband who had his right arm shot off. So if women are complaining about taking their kids to daycare, and soccer, and cooking dinner in a microwave, and putting the laundry in an automated machine...well I am sure, some where in heaven there is playing the worlds smallest violin.

No comments: