Monday, August 15, 2005

Review of Battlefield Vietnam

"You gov-a-ment lie to you GIJOE. Poor GIJOE. You helicopters fall from the sky like borken birds." This is blaring away from psych warfare megaphones as I try to reclaim the city of Hui from the North Vietnamese Army (NVA) In this episode I am a soldier in the South Vietnamese army so I have a vietnamese general yelling at me on the radio.

In another episode I am crawling through the jungle and I get this idiot screaming in my radio, "We're getting wasted! Lets get the hell out of here!" So I change my direction and converge on the problem, only to find out that it is a couple of VC in a hijacked Jeep.

I like this game a lot. The theme song, if you can call it that, is Jefferson Airplanes "White Rabbit" an homage to Platoon, and music from CCR, homage to Forrest Gump. Of course during the actual actions you are not listening to music. But the graphics, the musical selection. It does an excellent job at making you feel like a conscript. The game play is pretty predictable and you get to respawn.

These games are not quite as interesting as the Medal of Honor series since the objective is really strategic in nature. I cannot single handedly take the city of Hui. There are all sort of SOB's on my side in jeeps, tanks, and half-tracks that help out. So you end up feeling like a cog in a big war machine. Probably more realistic.

No comments: