Monday, July 10, 2006

Europe Part 1


Well I am back from a 16 day trip to Europe. In the forthcoming entries I will attempt to tell the tale. For now let me begin by letting you know how Europe treated me. If my encounters with people from other nationalities is an accurate crossampling of European behavior I would have to list the friendliest countries in the following order:

1) France - What can I say the French were great. All the stereotypes about french behavior, as far as I was concerned, have been debunked.

2) Italy - They were pretty good too. Everyone in Italy uses hand jestures so that all conversations look like arguments. However if you talk to people they are kind, helpful, and very easy going. They have a saying "If you have the urge to work, don't worry, it will pass."

3) Switzerland - They were not rude or hauty, nor were they very jocular, but they were quite accurate and clean.

4) United Kingdom - Everyone in England was great accept the staff at Gatwick airport. It was like being in a vast Monty Python skit where you were the straightman. Civil servants in England are so simliar to the way they are portrayed in Python that it is creepy. The airport itself is also a stinking, dilapidated, dump. Once we got away from the airport things improved and everyone else was kind and helpful.

No comments: