Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Chemical Jihad

I am using the word Jihad in hopes of the Bush Administration reading my Blog.

The chemical Jihad I am referring to is the holy war against depression. Depression is the great satan, moo-hoo-ha-ha, and I will use any and all means, including underhanded chemical attacks, to fight it. Enter Fluoxetine, aka Prozac. This little guy goes into your synaptic connections and blocks the re-uptake of serotonin so that more of it can be transfered from one nero-transmitter to another. So how does it feel? Well it feels okay. It does not make you feel happy go-lucky, or stoned, or anything like that. All it seems to do, at least for me, is even out the ups and downs, particularly the downs. The problem with depressive illnesses is that they cut your abiliy to function. It is harder to concentrate, to remember stuff, and it becomes a self reinforcing problem that spirals downward. The chemical Jihadist is able to get back to normality while still dealing with the issues that bring about the depression. Prozac, for me, is not a substitute for counseling and other mental healthcare but is just another part of it.

No comments: