Thursday, August 30, 2007

Hobbyists are Nazi's



The title is in NO WAY implying that the below mentioned hobbyists are in fact fascists.

Model railroaders, RC car or plane builders and fliers, Airsoft and Paintballers, all are a bunch of uptight twerps. If you read up on them, or any other hobby, the hobby is always "run" by a bunch of uptight twerps. "My way or the highway" types. The kind of people who suck the life out of the room by taking all the fun out of everything. "Well if you don't want to spend your retirement on XYZ then don't waste my time." type of people. They always look down their noses at the great unwashed masses who like to have fun. These types need regulations, and standards, and big thick rule books and bylaws. Little Napoleonic complexities waiting for a sport or hobby to take over and ruin.

I understand the difference, for example, between a mid 80's Life-Like POS locomotive and an Athearn Genesis DCC loco. I also know that you can still have a great time with the train hobby and not spend thousands on the trains themselves.

My daughter and I like chasing each other with our little RC cars but I am sure we are looked down on from the elite RC racers of the world.

Airsoft is my latest enquiry. I am not very militant, but there have been several articles, and instances that have lead me to look into the sport. One is that it is a breeding ground for new army men (or kids). Recruiters check out paitball areas and airsoft grounds for potential recruits. What is the alure of such things. I think I know since I am a man and like to shoot stuff too. But looking into this field I find the same uptight twerps telling me what is "proper" as if they are in the F'ing military or as if they are really doing important stuff instead of playing GI Joe.

I understand there needs to be standards if you wish to participate in a sport or hobby. But their should also be a broader attempt made by people who are enthusiastic about a hobby, to bring it to the masses in a way that is less intimidating and snotty.

No comments: