Thursday, January 27, 2005

Halo 2

Halo 2 was a nice bit of digitized blood-sport. However the ending was a bit too clifhanger for me. It would be like ending Star Wars with the X-wings taking off to attack the Death Star :

Wedge: Look at the size of that thing.

Roll end credits

I am sorry but having the big battle scene be killing the head brute is not epic enough for this epic game. There needed to be something more bigger, giganticer, hugerer, excitinger. and largester. I know the whole point to video games is not really entertainment but product sales and a good game not only generates sales of current product but also insures future sales. And a hook is a hook is a hook.

Another point is that there is so much doublcrossing going on that, as a soldier, I gave up on keeping sides straight. It quickly devolved down to "if you are infront of me I am going to kill you." And why arn't humans double crossing, two-faced, slimes, hell that is one of our defining characteristics! I think the next installment should be a rogue human element that starts to cause trouble for the ol Master Cheif. So we end up with bits of the Covenent and bits of Humans fighting against other Covenent and Humans.

1 comment:

MG said...

"if you are infront of me I am going to kill you." LMAO. Yes, I felt the same way. A few other things that really bugged me were: 1) Extremely linear level design. We're talking thin as a rail, straw or another form of something that is really, really linear. The first Halo was also linear, as are most FPS, but it a better sense of an expansive world. The exterior environments had a lot of room to move around and try out different tactics. Halo 2 just felt like one narrow corridor leading to a slightly larger ambush point. 2) The implied triggers to level endings move the story along at a blistering pace and took control away from the player. In Halo there were, in general, specific things you had to do (jump on the dropship, flip a switch) to end a level. This gave the player a lot of freedom to enjoy the game however they wanted. Hours of fun were had on Silent Cartographer exploring and Warthog jumping, instead of jumping on the dropship. The level end triggers in Halo 2 seemed to take place during battles so that when the last dude was dead you were whisked away to the next event. So just make sure you dont whack the last dude. 3) Invisible barriers suck. And they were all over the place in Halo 2. I thought the level design in Halo did a better job of keeping you contained within the level without the use of those invisible barriers, which I think snaps you out of your "suspension of disbelief." 4) The final boss battle with mohawk dude was a pretty generic FPS scenerio. I loved the crazy race to the finish line in Halo with the Pillar of Autumn exploding around you. It was a different and memorable way of ending a game. 5) Terminal Warthog! The new destructalbe vehicles are very cool in one respect but are a total pain when it come to level exploration. Espcially Warthog jumping.

I played the crap out of Halo, probably more than any other single player FPS, so I think I can pick Halo 2 to death. But I still enjoyed Halo 2. I would probably give it an 8 out of 10.