It is a very nice film and tells one of the great Sci-fi stories of all time. However, unlike Green Mile, it trys to shove the whole story into a digestable 90 minutes. Argh! Not good at all. It made a great story as digestable as white bread that has been sitting in warm watrer for five days. The only redmeaming aspect is the quality of the story, the acting, and the set decoration; music isn't bad either. If your going to tell the story of the life of a two hunred year old robot you better take some time!
Best Sci-fi / Futurism films:
- Star Wars Episodes 4-5-6 - 'nough said.
- 2001 - mind-blasting even today.
- Metropolis & Things to Come - (the reigning glory of Deco-Nuvo Futurism, you gotta have both)
- Blade Runner - (Syd Mead unbound, wholly crap man.)
- Alien - really dated visual effects, mumbled lines, simple story, fucking scary even now!
- Close Encounters - Best of the happy-aliens genre, better than ET
- Forbidden Planet - Captain JJ Adam's finset moment.
- Planet of the Apes - Charlton Heston inherits the NRA's future.
- Contact - Should be higher than number 9 but look at its competition!?
- Gattaca - Nice use of late-FL Wright's buildings housing an interesting story.
- Lathe of Heaven - Very simple story but very well done.